Tuesday, November 6, 2007

the liar submissions


Bita Joudaki – In My Dreams


When We Would Pretend to Fly

In my dreams,

I don’t remember the violent sounds

of my next door neighbors

or of the mothers being arrested at birthday parties.

I don’t remember the ex-husbands the forgotten medication

or the neglected cats.

Not the addicts

alcoholics

or drop-outs.

I don’t remember my brother on the verge of going crazy.
No, in my dreams,

there are countless Maury Povich episodes

playing Barbie’s until I’m 14

and my brother

walking me home from school

and forgetting his keys.

I remember the night time bike rides when we would pretend to fly.



Bita Joudaki - Knot

deep deep deep into my gut.

i had a stomach ache.

the ache turned into a knot.

the knot dug

deep deep deep

into my gut.

i pleaded with it. i bartered.

i wanted it to go away, but it refused.

i soothed it. i rubbed. i tried to sing it to sleep.

the knot dug

deep deep deep

into my gut.

so, i became angry.

i punched it. i jabbed.

i violated its space.

this only made it laugh.

now, i was in more pain than before,

and the knot had a new bruise to fall in love with.



Bita Joudaki – Dear 1988


dear 1988

the city is fed up with you,

the almost dead, as you confuse the streetlights for the stars. she's leaving you gifts with notes

attached that read:

You deserve to be really happy.

No comments: